I am getting ready to do some repairs to my home. Do you have any tips?
Home improvement repairs are some of the top complaints that our office receives. To avoid being a victim of a home repair scam, you should be aware of the following:
- Get several estimates before deciding which person you want to do business with.
- Get their business name, their name, address and telephone number.
- Check their references.
- Contact our office at 913-715-3003, the Kansas Attorney General’s Office and the Better Business Bureau and ask if any complaints have been filed against that business.
- Be extremely cautious of individuals who solicit business door-to-door.
- Make sure you get the agreement in writing and that you are provided a copy. Be sure to require the “start date” and “complete date” to be specifically set out in the contract.
- Never pay for the entire job before the work has started. Most legitimate companies require only a percentage of the cost up front.