Protection Orders

Protection from Abuse & Protection from Stalking Orders

The Victim Assistance Unit has a staff of advocates who assist victims through the protection order process. The advocates also provide assistance in crisis intervention, information, and referrals to social service agencies.

A protection order is a civil order which can:

  1. Restrain the defendant from contacting you;
  2. Restrain the defendant from your residence;
  3. Give temporary custody of the children to you;
  4. Restrain the defendant from your workplace;
  5. Order the defendant to pay support and/or arrange for the return of your property.

You may qualify for a Protection from Abuse Order if you have been abused or threatened by someone with whom you live, have lived, or with whom you have a child in common, want an order to protect you and/or your child from further abuse, and have a VALID address where the defendant can be served.

You may qualify for a Protection from Stalking Order if you have two or more separate threatening or harassing incidents that would place a reasonable person in fear of their safety. The stalking incidents must have occurred in Johnson County, KS. You must have a VALID address where the defendant can be served.

How To Get A Protection Order

Please call the Johnson County Victim Assistance Unit at 913-715-3004, and we will assist you in filing the appropriate forms.


If your abuser breaks the protection order, it is important that you call the police. The order cannot be enforced if the police are not aware that there is a violation.

Planning For Safety

It is important to plan for safety in case of further violence. You do not have control over your partner's violence. However, you do have a choice about how to respond to him/her and the best way to get yourself (and your children) to safety. Plan to leave immediately if you feel in danger. Practice how to get out safely: what doors, windows, stairwells, or fire escapes would you use? Decide which room is the safest room in the house or apartment if you are unable to leave the house. Tell a neighbor about the violence and request they call the police if they hear suspicious noises coming from your home. Create a code word to share with family and/or friends that indicates you want them to call the police. You can use this code word if you feel in danger but cannot safely call the police. Do not keep what is happening to you a secret.

Be Prepared

Keep the following items in a safe but easy to reach place:

  1. Local police department phone number and the emergency number of your local domestic violence program;
  2. Car keys (or have an emergency transportation plan worked out in advance);
  3. Clothing in case you have to leave quickly;
  4. Copies of birth certificates, medical, and social security cards, identification, and any other important papers for you and your children;
  5. Small bag with essentials, medication, change for telephone calls, address book, tooth brush, etc.;
  6. Do not tell your abuser about your plan to leave.