Formal Traffic Diversion

Formal Traffic Diversion Offenses include:

  • Driving While Suspended
  • Reckless Driving
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident
  • Fleeing and Eluding
  • Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor
  • Furnishing Tobacco to a Minor
  • Minor in Possession/Consumption of Alcohol
  • Transporting an Open Container

NOTE: DUI Diversions are handled through the Criminal Diversion program, not the Traffic Unit. For questions regarding DUI Diversion, visit the Criminal Diversion page or call 913.715.3114.

Eligibility for Formal Traffic Diversion is determined on a case by case basis and requires an application process. (Click here) If your citation includes any of the offenses listed above, you must submit the required Diversion Application and $30 application fee to determine your eligibility for Diversion. Additional Diversion conditions may be required based on the specific violation.

If your citation also includes a registration and/or an insurance violation, you MUST provide a printed document showing that the vehicle has been updated with a current registration and/or valid proof of insurance when submitting your application and $30 fee. If you did not have insurance at the time of the citation, your current insurance must be a six-month prepaid policy. Your application will not be accepted without the required documentation.

If your ticket involved an ACCIDENT, you must provide printed proof of insurance and a document that provides proof that you have been released from liability. This includes proof that you are not responsible for damages or that you have paid for the damages.

Applications for formal traffic diversion offenses will be denied if you have a prior conviction for the same offense in the past 12 months or if you are unable to get your driving privileges reinstated within 4 months for driving while suspended offenses.

The Formal Traffic Diversion Guidelines and Criteria are here.

Application Process

There are several ways to begin the Diversion process:

  • Download and complete the Application from the link above. Mail in the completed form and the $30 application fee to

    District Attorney's Office
    Traffic Unit
    150 W Santa Fe St., 3rd Floor
    Olathe, KS 66061

  • Contact the Traffic Unit by phone 913.715.3011 and the application can be sent to you if you are unable to download the Application.
  • Visit the Johnson County District Attorney’s Diversion Office located on the 3rd floor of the Johnson County District Courthouse to complete an application and pay the $30 application fee with exact cash, or by debit/credit. The Diversion office is available Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
  • Appear in Court on your scheduled Court date to discuss your options with an Assistant District Attorney.

Application Fee

The application fee must be paid by check or money order, if paid by mail. Please make checks and money orders payable to: D. A. Trust Account. Credit/debit card payments are accepted if the application is completed in person at the District Attorney’s Diversion Office. An additional 2.4 % service fee will apply. No personal checks will be accepted for the application fee.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are not on diversion prior to your Court date, you must appear in Court on your scheduled Court date. Failure to appear may result in a warrant for your arrest and/or suspension of your Driver’s License..

After you have properly submitted an application for Formal Traffic Diversion, a Traffic Diversion Case Manager will mail you a letter within 30 days, with instructions on how to proceed. You MUST continue to make ALL Court appearances while the Diversion process is pending.